Saturday, March 20, 2010

Review-North of Beautiful By Justina Chen Headley

I heard lots of good reviews about this book, but I only felt it was ok. Terra has a port wine stain that covers her cheek. She feels that she needs to keep a lean figure in order for people to think she is pretty. Terra does not feel good about herself. Despite creating art, she doesn't consider herself an artist. She devalues herself and lets others do the same until she meets Jacob who sees passed her cool facade and challenges her to be herself. Terra spent so much time whining that I really didn't like her til the last 50 pages. I liked Jacob but I didn't think he was developed enough. I hated Terra's father but you were supposed to (who likes the Dad who picks on his wife and children?). If the scene in the orphanage hadn't happened I probably wouldn't have liked this book. That part made the book worth reading. I really hoped this book had been more than it was.

0 comments: