Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Three Cups of Tea

Talk about an inspiring story...this is one of them.  I read the Young Reader's Edition adapted by Sarah Thomson, which has a great interview in the back of Amira, Greg's daughter. She is just as inspiring as her father, which is so great to see in one so young...she was 12 at the time of this interview.  She challenges kids of all ages to do something and has ideas of ways that they can. 
Greg Mortenson was separated from his climbing buddies as they descended down K2.  He was found by his porter, but then he lost his way again. He came upon a poor village where they took him in and took care of him.  From gratitude, he left with a promise to return to build them a school for their children.  Tree Cups of Tea tells Greg's story of how a poor boy from the US raised money to build a school for this village and how that promise turned into something bigger than he had planned.
This was so inspiring for me on so many levels. I won't go into them all, I promise.  But, this quote from Greg is so relevant in my life and speaks so much..."We Americans think you have to accomplish everything quickly....Haji Ali taught me to share three cups of tea, to slow down and make building relationships as important as building projects."  It is so true in my life. How quickly do I worry and work on the project and forget about the relationship.  

Now to go and have a cup of tea (or coffee) with a fellow friend or co-worker....how about you, you up for it?


0 comments: