Saturday, October 17, 2009

The Reason I've Gotten Off the Track

Nicholson Baker,
The Anthologist (2009)

Rarely do I feel that a book is written precisely for me. But, then again, rarely do I pass by an opportunity to read something by Nicholson Baker, so obviously my taste tends in his direction.
Anyway, I happen to write silly little poems for a radio show and this book is a kind of apologia for poems that rhyme.
And it's very intelligently written and has nicely intertwined stories of what narrator thinks and does and says and what happens to him. Ah, the book is a delight.
And, to top it all off, the reader gets lots of lovely inspirations to read more poetry, which is what I've been doing since The Anthologist came out in September.
I'll be getting back to my list soon. But first I'm encouraging you to read some Nicholson Baker. Always a treat.

1 comments:

ImageNations said...

okay. Dean Koontz's False Memory introduced me to Haiku.