Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Review-Thank You For Smoking by Christopher Buckley

I choose to read Thank You For Smoking because I liked the movie. Plus I read another of Buckley's books, Florence of Arabia. Buckley has a way of poking fun at difficult issues like smoking without preaching. I enjoy his sense of humor. I liked Thank You For Smoking but not as much as I liked Florence of Arabia.
Nick Naylor is a spokesman for the tobacco industry. It's a job for him. It pays the mortgage. But as the book develops Nick's position on his job changes. The changes from something to pay the mortgage to something that changes his life. I liked Nick. He's personable and funny. I liked the MOD Squad too. Some of the other characters (Nick's secretary for example) were useless and cluttered up the story. But I overlooked those useless characters and enjoyed the novel anyway. Recommended.

0 comments: