Thursday, September 23, 2010

Baby by Joseph Monninger

Baby has run out of chances. At fifteen, she's used to running away from foster homes and living on the street or in temporary housing with her boyfriend. When her social worker moves her into a foster home with the Potters, she tells Baby that if she messes this one up, the next stop is juvie.

The Potters are different. They raise sled dogs. Baby loves the dogs and takes naturally to sledding. But when her boyfriend shows up to take her away, she can't help going with him.

This book was incredibly well-written. I loved the details of sledding and the dogs. I could tell the author, Joseph Monninger, wrote out of experience and love, an irresistible combination for me. I love when an author has passion for his subject. 

Baby was a believable character. She was flawed, but by the end of the book, I loved her, because she was valiant at the core. She made certain heroic decisions that I wondered if I would have the guts to make.

Another great YA read I would highly recommend.

5 comments:

Emily Cross said...

Great review. Another for the list - which just keeps growing and growing!!

Unknown said...

Yes I second that... the cover is really nice as well.

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

I agree, Shellie. I loved this cover. Especially her nose ring -- it's so understated, but it still gives you a better idea of who she is as a character.

I hope that if you both read it, you enjoy it! :)

Amy

Linda said...

Haven't heard of this one. Sounds like a good read.

Elise said...

I haven't heard of this one!! It sounds quite compelling. Thanks for the review :)