Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

This is the second book of the Hunger Games Trilogy. I didn't realize this when I put this on my list, so I read Hunger Games in a day and picked Catching Fire the next day and finished it that night. I was a bit hesitant with this trilogy because of fear of the descriptive writing.  But, I was surprised that it wasn't that bad. I mean, there was some pretty gruesome parts, but they were never forced or overboard. It seemed to concentrate more on the relationships and the "Big Picture" problem of the Capitol controlling then the actual "games".

Here is the summary from Goodreads.
"Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark won the annual competition described in Hunger Games, but the aftermath leaves these victors with no sense of triumph. Instead, they have become the poster boys for a rebellion that they never planned to lead. That new, unwanted status puts them in the bull's-eye for merciless revenge by The Capitol. Catching Fire maintains the adrenaline rush of Suzanne Collin's series launch."

Can't wait to get my hands on Mockingjay, the final book of the Hunger Games Trilogy.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I thought the first one was excellent, the second was very good, and the third was good. Much better than Ender's Game, IMHO, although it did cover some similar themes (but it has been years since I read Ender's Game, I wouldn't be able to argue much for or against it without re-reading).

I liked that Katniss's flaws had mostly to do with the fact that she was in the process of growing up -- and was learning some hard lessons along the way. Her arc of change, throughout the trilogy, was compelling.

MaDonna Maurer said...

I agree with you Rachel. I really liked that "we" got to watch Katniss grow up.