Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer


I'm not a fan of horror. At. All.  I have learned that I cannot watch or read that genre. I have nightmares for weeks. I still shudder when I think about those movies from the eighties. You know Freddie and Jason. Ugh!  I'm a wimp, I know. So, when I heard that this book was about vampires and such I didn't pay attention to it until a friend of mine told me that I could handle it. It wasn't bad in the scary department.  So, that is why I put Twilight on my list to read.

Here is Goodread's description of the book:
     Isabella Swan's move to Forks, a small, perpetually rainy town in Washington, could have been the most boring move she ever made. But once she meets the mysterious and alluring Edward Cullen, Bella's life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. Up until now, Edward has managed to keep his vampire identity a secret in the small community he lives in, but now nobody is safe, especially Bella, the person Edward holds most dear.  The lovers find themselves balanced precariously on the point of a knife - between desire and danger. Deeply romantic and extraordinarily suspenseful, Twilight captures the struggle between defying our instincts and satisfying our desires. This is a love story with bite.

I liked the book more than I thought I would. I can see why the series has become a huge hit.  I was reading it every spare minute I had. But, there was a part that I had to put down the book because it was late at night and my mind does crazy things at that time. I had to do something else to get my mind cleared from the scary thoughts and then go to bed. But, the next day I had the book and continued reading.  I'm not sure if I'll read the other books in the series, though.  I've heard that the other books are even better, which makes me want to read them. But, I've also heard that they are a bit more graphic, which makes me not want to read them.  So, for now I think I'll stick to my 100 list and maybe later I'll change my mind.


4 comments:

Linda said...

For me the Twilight series was like candy. I couldn't stop reading them. Yes the books get more graphic and intense especially the last one.

Unknown said...

I second Linda's comment.

I could not put it the series down, and I am not a big romance fan.

Rachel said...

My snobby book group read the first one -- to our surprise and not a little embarrassment, we all liked it! But DO NOT see the movie if you can avoid it; it was so terrible that it ruined me for the rest of the series, even though I have books 2 and 3. And even though Taylor Lautner is hot. (Team Jacob!)

MaDonna Maurer said...

Thanks for the heads up! I'm still undecided about reading the rest of them.

@Rachel...thanks for the warning on the movie. That just confirmed my gut feeling on watching it. Won't do it.