Thursday, November 5, 2009

Review (Of Human Bondage) and reflections

Gah, I've just realised how long it's been since I last checked in here, and how slack I've been about both reading from my list and writing about what I've read. Crossing off my reads from the last couple of months just now, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I'd read a couple from my list by accident -- and then unpleasantly surprised to find that I couldn't remember anything about some of the books on my list or why, back in May, it seemed vital that I read them. I must have had my reasons, though; with luck it'll be more fun than not to rediscover them...

I've read a few books from my list since I last blogged here. The first was Of Human Bondage by Somerset Maugham. It was a struggle. It was long. Under pressure, I might admit to having skimmed during the third quarter... Oh, look, I think I just have a prejudice against this kind of lengthy, physicaly detailed realism. It lacks the wry humour and absurdity of English Bildungsromans that came before (anything by Dickens, say), and the (similar?) playful absurdity of modernist novels. It's like there was a dry patch around the turn of the century -- meticulously described, carefully written, often autobiographical realism... it just doesn't do much for me. I'll speculate crazily and completely unqualified-ly and say that in my (limited) mental library, Joyce's Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man has a foot in both camps -- it does a bit of what Maugham does, carefully documenting material details of his childhood memory -- but it's more mindful of strucutre and plot, and more willing to break away and experiment with language and humour.

And that's all I have to say about that. Mostly, this book made me think about other writers whose work I much prefer, even when it's perhaps less carefully, comprehensively done. I suspect this just isn't a period I "get", aesthetically speaking. Sorry, Somerset...

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Aw, that's too bad. Somerset Maugham is one of my favorite authors. While this is supposed to be his masterpiece, I admit I like several of his other books (The Painted Veil, Mrs. Craddock) better.

Andromeda Romano-Lax said...

Here's what we have in common: we haven't been paying close attention to our lists lately! (Furthermore, though I have been reading, I haven't reviewed a single book on this blog.)

Here's where we're different: I absolutely LOVED this book. Read it on a trip in September,and I enjoyed the methodical and leisurely detailing of how a mind matures, how a man finds his way in the world, having explored the arts, medicine, friendship, love, and poverty (that part felt particularly frightening and true).

Painted Veil (hi there Amanda) is better plotted, but the characterization and sheer scope of OHB wowed me. But I have heard others say the opposite -- that the narrator drove them crazy. Go figure.

Thanks for letting me add my two cents, since I've been so lame about writing my own reviews!

I_am_Tulsa said...

I just got finished reading this book and enjoyed it.

I am almost 40 years old and I think I have grown patient with books like this that describe the life of a boy that is not incredibly unique. (I don't know if I would have been able to finish it in my teen years...)

Some of his choices at pivotal moments in life irritated me but you have to remember that this is a boy who didn't have much for guidance and need to learn things the hard way...besides, who really takes advice anyway? Don't we all end up making some pretty funny choices in life when you look back?


With older novels such as this it is interesting to see how phrases like "It's no good crying over spilt milk, because all the forces of the universe were bent on spilling it."

As for the narrator's voice, wI rather enjoyed it.
He/she sounded like an older version of the main character, Philip.