Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau


Goodreads Description:
The city of Ember was built as a last refuge for the human race. Two hundred years later, the great lamps that light the city are beginning to flicker. When Lina finds part of an ancient message, she’s sure it holds a secret that will save the city. She and her friend Doon must decipher the message before the lights go out on Ember forever! This stunning debut novel offers refreshingly clear writing and fascinating, original characters.

My Take:
I read somewhere that if you are not into Sci-Fi, you'd probably like this book anyway.  It is sort of Sci-Fi, but not really either. It is more of a techy distopian novel with issues that kids can relate and handle.  This was my first book by DuPrau and I was pleased with it. 
Spoiler Alert: I was surprised with all the religious tones: from the "Builders", to the "coming into the light", and questions about where life comes from. I was thinking it might be a good book to discuss with my children (when they are old enough). And you know that I'm going to be all over that (note to self: buy this book).
During the whole book I felt the need to appreciate the sunshine more. To not take that and fresh vegetables and fruit for granted. The need to be more "green" overwhelmed me. That's not a bad thing at all, eh?
Overall, I liked the book. I wasn't so hooked that I'm longing to read the next one in the series, though. But, a good solid YA book.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I've read all 4 of the Ember books, and really liked them. They are definitely a series that I think improves upon discussion.

My friend and I read them at about the same time, and as we discussed what we were reading, we both came to the conclusion that DePrau has an awesome understanding of human nature, both the positive and the darker side.

MaDonna Maurer said...

Thanks Ashley. I definitely think this is a good series for discussion. That would have been really nice.