Saturday, February 26, 2011

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

I was anxious to read Water for Elephants before the movie came out. I knew once the movie came out I would picture the actors as the characters so I wanted to make up my own mind about them first.
I loved this book. The imaginary was beautiful that I could smell the popcorn on the midway and hear the horse hooves on the dirt. The world Gruen paints both inside the circus world and later with 90-something Jacob in a nursing home is so magical. Jacob is a delightful character. I could really connect with him.
Water for Elephants is the story of Jacob who joined the circus in his 20's.  Jacob is adrift and finds distraction, a family and love in the circus.  Now I know why people wanted to run away and join the circus. I greatly enjoyed the ride.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

I thought Gruen's writing was great, and really liked most of this book. There was some stuff that I was a little 'eh' about, but overall thought it was quite well done. :)

Danielle Zappavigna said...

This is another one of those books that has been on my TBR list forever and I just never get around to reading it. I'll want to read it before seeing the movie too, so I suppose I'd better hurry up! :-)

Sherrie said...

Hi!
I read this a couple years ago and really enjoyed reading it. I have to agree with you about imagery that Gruen paints this book. It was wonderful. Have a great day!

Sherrie

I_am_Tulsa said...

I really hope the movies will be as beautiful as the book was!