Monday, January 24, 2011

Double Update

Schindler's Ark - Thomas Keneally

I never knew until now that this book was only called Schindler's List in America, but that's besides the point. It's very similar to In Cold Blood in terms of narrative non-fiction. I really enjoyed it, although at times I found it difficult keeping track of who's who. Oskar Schindler really was a morally ambiguous character, but whatever his reasons were for saving Jews were at first, by the end he really worked hard to protect them and what he achieved was pretty incredible.

Lord of the Flies - William Golding

If I was writing this when I finished this book, a couple of days ago, I would have said that I didn't like it. But after a couple of days with that book stewing in the back of my mind, I appreciate it a whole lot more. There are parts of that book that are completely terrifying, and I just felt so sorry for Piggy. The only thing that bothered me was the obvious metaphors belting me over the head.

Has anyone read either of these?

PS - I've worked out my next list: my 100 favourites of all time!

0 comments: