Monday, January 24, 2011

The Screwtape Letters - C.S. Lewis

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis

Goodreads Description:
The story takes the form of a series of letters from a senior demon, Screwtape, to his nephew, a junior "tempter" named Wormwood, so as to advise him on methods of securing the damnation of a British man, known only as "the Patient".

Screwtape holds an administrative post in the bureaucracy ("Lowerarchy") of Hell, and acts as a mentor to Wormwood, the inexperienced tempter. In the body of the thirty-one letters which make up the book, Screwtape gives Wormwood detailed advice on various methods of undermining faith and promoting sin in the Patient, interspersed with observations on human nature and Christian doctrine. Wormwood and Screwtape live in a peculiarly morally reversed world, where individual benefit and greed are seen as the greatest good, and neither demon is capable of comprehending or acknowledging true human virtue when he sees it.

My Thoughts:
I have heard of this book for years, but just have never taken the time to read it. So glad that I put it on my list of books to read because it was a great one.  The letters are written during WWII when Britain is dealing with the fear of bombs from Germany. Screwtape mentions this in various letters and how it will affect the "Patient" for their benefit or for the "Enemy's" benefit.  Even though the setting is historical, the content will always be current.  What I liked the most is that it is so deep with gut wrenching quotes that make you stop and think about your own life.   (Okay, maybe I don't always like to look at the "yuck" in my life. But, evaluating isn't a bad thing.)
This is definitely a book that I want to read again.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I think this book is on my list too! If not, I know it's definitely one of those books I've been wanting to read for a long time! Glad to hear you liked it!

MaDonna Maurer said...

Thanks for commenting. Yes, I think you should read it. I will have to read it again every so often because it really was a thought provoking book.