Friday, March 11, 2011

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

I don't know what to say about this book. It was a well written book but I didn't care for it. The story follows Yossarian, a bombardier during World War 2. I use follow loosely. The story isn't linear. I had a real hard following what was going on. It was like reading an episode of Hogan's Heroes or Gomer Pyle. Plenty of funny parts, just confusing over all. I talked a few people who stated this was their favorite book of all time and they said I had it right. It's supposed be confusing, ridiculously so. Glad to have this one off my list.

5 comments:

Danielle Zappavigna said...

This is one of my favourite books of all time. While I was reading it I was enjoying it but had no idea what the hell was going on, but by the time I got to the ending I was left feeling gutted and uttered 'this is brilliant.' I've always thought I should re-read it, now that I know what's going on, but haven't as yet. I know lots of people who hated it too, so you're definitely not alone!

Goedi said...

bizarre. I remember the book to be funny and great, but I don't remember any details. So thank you for getting me to reread it. I hope it holds up. I think it will.
What, may I ask, made you stick with the book and not just put it down?

Linda said...

@Goedi-I considered abandoning it several times, but since so many people loved it I felt like I should give it a try. I might revisit it sometime in the future and see if it strikes a cord with me later.

Anonymous said...

I gave up on it. I didn't like it at all and at about page 150 I tossed it aside and never looked back. I'm definitely sure we aren't alone =)

I_am_Tulsa said...

...oh well...I think many parts of it, especially the confusing bits, are like an interesting pair of glasses to wear while looking at our current society (in any part of the world).

As longs as you know what people mean when they use the title Catch-22, then you did not waste your time!
I hadn't read it until I was out of college, and I could never figure out what people meant...so I decided to finally read the book...lol

Hope you like the next book you read!