Thursday, May 28, 2009

Infinite Summer

I know that I'm not the only one with Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace on my list. I'm probably also not the only one intimidated by the modern-day behemoth. Well, some folks have started an internet collaboration to read the book over the summer, rather like we have banded together to do for Middlemay. They're calling it Infinite Summer. It starts on June 21 and breaks the book up into about 75 pages a week until around September 21 or so. Just thought some of you might be interested - their web page is http://infinitesummer.org/ and they have a group going on Facebook too. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to participate, but I'm thinking about it...

7 comments:

moonrat said...

awesome idea!! i don't think i can bear another long book after MIDDLEMARCH, though. not for a little while.

or who knows. maybe we'll revisit. i'm a sucker for cute names like "Infinite Summer."

Jen A said...

I know...that's part of my hesitation. But I do want to read it, and having a support group is nice :) Plus it's a modern book, which might be easier (for me at least) to navigate.... Still undecided. I have a month to figure it out, I guess, but I need to catch up on Middlemarch!!

Alyssa said...

Ooh, that's excellent! I've tried to read Infinite Jest before and I think deadlines would help a lot. And the timing is perfect for me, too! I think I am going to join.

Jen A said...

Okay, okay. I'm in. I decided. A copy popped up for mooching on BookMooch, and I snagged it. I'm going to be on a plane ride to Austria on the 20th/21st of June and a plane ride back on the 25th, so I'll have plenty of reading time.

Goedi said...

I might nibble around the edges rather than truly take part, depending on, well, lots of things.
Jen A, I do the same thing, but I wonder why we call it a "plane ride" instead of "flight." (I think it is to match "train ride" for which there is no alternate word. We do say "drive" for "car ride," after all.)

Jen A said...

Ha! I never thought about that Goedi, but you're right... I guess sometimes I say flight, but it's not the first thing that comes to mind.

hifidel said...

I didn't see this news in time to join the project, but I did finish Infinite Jest for my FITG list!

Shelly