Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Dark is Rising

I decided to listen to this one instead of read it, but it's one more off my list.

Books like this are what make me think that I don't like fantasy. I know I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, but ugh. I did not like this book. AT ALL.

I had two big complaints:

1. Will. I never understood him, or identified with him, or really cared about him. My friend Mary says that this is because I'm an oldest child and Will is very much the youngest child of a huge family. (My friend Mary is too, she also really likes this book.) She says youngest kids just kinda roll with everything and don't question much. I don't know if it's true. Will did. He turns 11 and has to start battling evil and keeps jumping around in time and NEVER BATS AN EYELASH. Let alone think it was awesome that he has super-powers. I just didn't get it!

2. Also how are these signs supposed to help defeat the dark? I mean really? Give me some explanation about what they are and why they're awesome once joined.

3. The magic at play, and Will's powers aren't well explained, and that's fine. I don't need things overly, or even completely, explained. BUT they aren't well defined! Will seems to be able to do anything and everything, but occasionally he can't. And he learned it all by reading a book. Not studying it, but once he read the words he'd remember them forever and then have all the power of the gift of grammery. LAME.

Anyway, this was just so not my cup of tea. But, it's off the list! Yay!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great saying.."The Dark is Rising"..

___________________
Andrew
Email Marketing Solutions

Moonrat said...

I read the whole series--as much as I could, at least, which I think was up to Greenwitch--when I was in high school. My best friend was a HUGE devotee. But they never quite absorbed me. I'm not sure if maybe the reading level is a little younger, or if they're just not escapist enough...