Thursday, August 20, 2009

Mya Review *Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant* and *Kane and Able*

It's been so long since I've posted, and I apologize. Real life is like that sometimes, I suppose, but I have kept up with my reading. I've read two more books that were on my list, and I've posted the full reviews on my blog:

"Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant" by Anne Tyler

One of the reasons I picked out this book was because of the title. I'm not sure why, but it just sort of yelled, "Mya! Mya you have to read me!" "...Homesick Restaurant" is the story of a family, of four very different people and how they struggled to be a family. The themes in this book are timeless. So, what was the deal with the title? It's in reference to a restaurant and one of the siblings. That's all I'm going to say about it, because really, finding out the truth of the title is like finding the kernel of the story. There is a reason it is considered a classic, and deservedly so. I highly recommend this book. Full Review Here: Mya's Review "Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant"

"Kane and Able" by Jeffrey Archer

Once I'd started reading, I found it very hard to put this book down. Kane and Able is the story of two boys, each born into two very different worlds, and raised in very different ways. The book follows their lives, through personal tragedies (all relevant to early and mid-1900's history) and triumphs. Kane and Able cross swords, unknowingly cross paths, carry animosity for each other, and ultimately find the truth that life is more than vendettas and pride. I would definitely recommend this book, though it's not necessarily for the faint of heart as it deals plainly with some very touchy subjects. Full Review Here: Mya's Review "Kane and Able"

2 comments:

hifidel said...

Jeffrey Archer is almost always un-put-down-able for me. I love his stories. Kane and Abel is an excellent one. My favorites might be his short story collections, though. He is very good in the genre.

Shelly

Mya Barrett said...

I'm going to have to definitely find some of his other works, too. I'll have to look up his short story collections and see if the library can get some of them in. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was impressed by this book!