Saturday, August 1, 2009

Matthew, Progress Report

I've been thoroughly absent lately, what with getting married and all, but I did manage to make some progress on my list:

Finished:
Purgatorio by Dante Alighieri
Paradiso by Dante Alighieri
Candide by Voltaire

Currently Reading:
The Last Tycoon by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Persian Expedition by Xenophon

I'll add some reviews for the above sometime in the next few days, but for now I'm just going to collapse on the couch for awhile and be really glad my wife and I don't have any more wedding planning and preparation to do.

3 comments:

moonrat said...

you go!!

congrats on your nuptials :)

i <3 xenophon :) although he doesn't rock quite as much as herodotus or thucydides. thucydides was the man.

Matthew Heuett said...

Thanks, moonrat (I love your blog, by the way).

I've only read excerpts from Herodotus and Thucydides so far, but your assessment sounds about right -- Xenephon is fascinating, but I'm saving the best Greek historians for last.

Speaking of antiquity, I have a special place in my heart for Pliny the Elder, the arch-grumpy old man of the classical world:

"And such things as these so embarrass improvident mortals, that among all of them this alone is certain, that there is nothing certain, and that there is nothing more proud or more wretched than man."

I like to picture him taking a break from writing his Naturalis Historia every now and then to shout at the neighbor kids to get off his lawn.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of antiquity, I have a special place in my heart for Pliny the Elder..

___________________
Andrew
Get Instant money