Sunday, June 28, 2009

His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman

I'm not sure how, but I had no idea these books even existed until The Golden Compass came out, and even then I didn't automatically reach for them. (I still haven't seen the movie, although I have been told it's pretty good. It might be, but Nicole Kidman makes me confused and irritable).

I wish I had read them then though - I just finished the trilogy last week and I really enjoyed them. At times the wordiness got a little irritating (especially the adamant tower...although I guess if a tower is adamant, it's adamant), but I really enjoyed it overall. And I am ABSOLUTELY in love with the name Lyra.

(More thoughts, spoilers and Lyra love here)

Next up for me is either The Yiddish Policemans Union or Lady Chatterley's Lover, I haven't quite decided. In the meantime I'm reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman - how I managed to go through twenty five years of existence without reading one of his novels will be always be a mystery to me, but I'm rectifying that now!

2 comments:

Stacy said...

I've read the first two of His Dark Materials and enjoyed them a lot. Can't wait to read the last one.

I too wondered how I got through life without reading Neil Gaiman after reading Neverwhere. I think you'll enjoy the whole thing.

Megan said...

Neverwhere quickly became my favorite Gaiman book as soon as I read it. Though, I've yet to read something by him that is not good... Hope you enjoy it!