Thursday, June 18, 2009

Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson

Housekeeping is a brilliant book about identity and memory, and perhaps the greatest novel I've read this year. It is the story of two sisters in Idaho in the 1950s from a family marked by tragedy and suicide. The are raised by their aunt, a former transient, whose unreformed lifestyle scandalizes the townspeople and forces the sisters to make a choice between freedom and conventionality.

This is a serious novel deep in meaning and rich in imagery, but its beautiful language is highly readable. I highly recommend it. My full review is here.

2 comments:

Jen A said...

I read this book last year. At first, I wasn't sure how I felt about it, but the more I have thought back on it over time, the more I've loved it. It's definitely a book that stays with you. I keep thinking back on it, months later and remembering bits and pieces. Just beautiful.

moonrat said...

it's on my list, and i already bought a copy--maybe i'll bump it up :)