This month I read 6 books off my list, and started a seventh that I had to abandon halfway through. Here's my list, with brief thoughts about each book and links to the full reviews. All my reviews are located at The Zen Leaf.
1. The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett - This was my first book by Pratchett and my introduction to Discworld. I enjoyed it more than I expected. 4 Stars.
2. The Secret Garden by Francis Hodgson Burnett - Cute book, I probably would have liked it better if I'd read it as a kid. 3 Stars.
3. Wild Roses by Deb Caletti - This is the best book I've read in years. Deb Caletti is fast becoming my favorite modern author. She writes books that ought to become classics. 5 Stars.
4. Atonement by Ian McEwan - I know everyone loves this book, but I just hated it. I had to force myself through every word. Sorry. 1 Star.
5. Tithe by Holly Black - Disappointing. I expected this to be wonderful, but it failed in almost every way. Bad writing, inane characters, glorification of unhealthy lifestyles...etc. 2 Stars.
6. Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather - My favorite Cather book so far. This is the only book I've ever read that makes me want to visit New Mexico. 4 Stars.
7. Villette by Charlotte Bronte (abandoned) - I really wanted to like this one. Jane Eyre is one of my favorite books. In Villette, I just couldn't get past the awful writing and the horrible prejudice of the narrator. One day I do plan to go back and try to read the second half of the book, but for now, I had to put it away. I've heard it gets much better.
That brings my total to 20 read, 3 abandoned.