Monday, June 8, 2009

Reading lists: Mr Knightley on Emma's

While we're compiling reading lists... here's Mr Knightley critiquing Emma's (I think Emma is on a few lists?). No spoilers involved, I promise!:

‘Emma has been meaning to read more ever since she was twelve years old. I have seen a great many lists of her drawing up at various times of books that she meant to read regularly through – and very good lists they were – very well chosen, and very neatly arranged – sometimes alphabetically, and sometimes by some other rule. The list she drew up when only fourteen – I remember thinking it did her judgment so much credit, that I preserved it some time; and I dare say she may have made out a very good list now. But I have done with expecting any course of steady reading from Emma. She will never submit to any thing requiring industry and patience, and a subjection of the fancy to the understanding…’

0 comments: